BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) – The governor announced $100 million for 33 parishes through the Risk Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP).
The funding will be used to support recovery and mitigation projects impacted by Hurricane Zeta, the 2021 severe winter weather event, the May 2021 floods, and Hurricane Ida. Depending on the governor’s office, the total amount of funding may include funding for multiple events.
Governor John Bel Edwards’ announcement said mitigation projects include residential elevation, reconstruction or acquisition of flood-prone structures and conversion of land to green space, localized drainage improvements, construction of security rooms, the wind-powered renovation of the structure and the emergency power supply for critical installations.
“I am proud of our work with our state, local and federal partners to secure this funding,” Governor Edwards said. “It is extremely important that we look for ways to expedite the recovery from these four recent events while using HMGP funds to minimize the impacts of future events.”
“We are making progress in recovery in areas affected by these disasters, but mitigation is equally important to our state,” said GOHSEP Director Casey Tingle. “HMGP funding will be used to improve our critical infrastructure and make it more resilient. I appreciate the hard work of our GOHSEP staff, FEMA Region 6, and our local partners to make this possible.
“We can either invest to protect our citizens or spend millions more picking up the debris from destroyed homes and businesses. This $100 million helps us build flood protection and resilience in our communities. We will continue to work to leverage our record investments to make Louisiana safer,” Rep. Garret Graves said.
Total HMGP Funding by Parish:
- Ascension Parish ($2,574,573)
- Assumption Parish ($1,822,065)
- Bossier Parish ($365,680)
- Caddo Parish ($2,551,373)
- Parish of Calcasieu ($1,620,789)
- Concordia Parish ($486,765)
- DeSoto Parish ($398,424)
- East of Baton Rouge ($2,298,401)
- Feliciana East (1,578,357)
- Grant Parish ($331,673)
- Parish of Iberia ($1,519,644)
- Parish of Iberville ($1,891,639)
- Jefferson Parish ($5,666,431)
- Lafayette Parish ($374,491)
- Lafourche Parish ($17,390,470)
- Livingston Parish ($3,635,223)
- Orleans Parish ($3,749,318)
- Ouachita Parish ($479,472)
- Plaquemines Parish ($2,886,649)
- Pointe Coupee Parish ($1,575,092)
- St. Bernard Parish ($2,388,221)
- St. Charles Parish ($4,293,548)
- St. Helena Parish ($2,086,405)
- St. James Parish ($2,871,829)
- St. John the Baptist Parish ($4,791,909)
- St. Martin Parish ($1,634,799)
- St. Mary’s Parish ($1,682,626)
- St. Tammany Parish ($2,040,190)
- Tangipahoa Parish ($2,971,666)
- Terrebonne Parish ($17,685,825)
- Washington Parish ($1,532,414)
- West Baton Rouge Parish ($1,768,265)
- West Feliciana Parish ($1,310,949)
Governor’s Note: The above totals include the first installment of HMGP funding allocated to Louisiana parishes affected by Hurricane Ida. Additional rounds of funding for Hurricane Ida will be announced at a later date.
For more information on risk mitigation, click here.